Whose story is it anyway?

Thursday, June 16, 2016

In my ongoing process of writing Posies and Paper Trails, I've decided to make a third- to first-person transition. As I have mentioned in my previous post, I'd began to doubt my choice for the third-person narrative after taking a short break from writing. For some reason, it felt wrong to let a narrator, who wasn't a character of any kind within the story, tell the story of my main character, Teddy. The story belonged to her, so it seemed only right that she would be the one to convey it to the reader.

Though I've never written fiction in the first-person, it feels quite natural to me. The day I made the transition, I wrote about 1000 words, which is twice as much as I normally manage to put down.
Writing in the first-person is fun. It gives me the chance to be inside Teddy's head, and because of that, I'm finally getting a slightly better idea of who she is as a person. It might sound silly, but she seems more real to me already, than that she did when I wrote about her in the third-person.

Anyway, making that transition was possibly the best decision I've made thus far for my novel. Even though I have to admit that I'm worried that the first-person-narrative might lead to some problems in the future. But for now, I'm just going to listen to the story Teddy has to tell me, and continue writing the third chapter.

You Might Also Like

0 reacties